The first one was just a quick once over of the big guy (Cthulhu), a mi-go, and some tests for a Deep One. I always like drawing deep ones and didn't love any of the designs I came up with on the first pass. Per this I decided to fool around and refine it a bit.I finally came up with one that is fairly close to the final design on the bottom left corner, but it looked a little too...I don't know, derpy I guess.
I pushed the Cthulhu design a little bit and finalized the deep one. The mi-go seemed solid so I left it as is and tried for an old one and a ghoul. I don't love the ghoul but that's sort of a tough one to crack. I'm not sure why but I felt like the shapes are too irregular. The old one looked ok though.
Another group of refining the design. Cthulhu looks good here as does the deep one. The Ghoul is closer but not completely done but I did include a couple of penguins. If you have read the Mountains of Madness you'll know why :).
This last group was just meant to play with the designs using a more sketchy and heavy brush line. I really love throwing lots of black ink on a page and this was more just to have some fun than anything. I'll post my watercolor results next.